NOW HIRING: UNDERWRITING SPECIALIST
Sunrise Communications Mission and History:
For 40 years, Sunrise Communications has operated KZUM, a community-supported nonprofit radio station in Lincoln. Powered by almost 100 volunteers from widely varied backgrounds who range in age from 20 to 85, KZUM is the most diverse and community-minded media outlet in Lincoln. Our organization’s mission is educating and building community through broadcast media, with diverse and independent voices that enrich the perspectives of our audiences.
KZUM works to carry out this mission through community engagement, on air programming and unique business partnerships.
Expectations for All Employees:
- Working collaboratively and enthusiastically, with integrity and respect for fellow employees, volunteers and associates.
- Embracing personal responsibility and accountability for your job.
- Communicate KZUM’s mission with passion and excitement.
The Underwriting Specialist works collaboratively with KZUM’s General Manager and Development Director to raise funds for KZUM and promote the station to the general public. KZUM has grown tremendously in the past three years and our organization looks to grow further, particularly in the arena of community engagement through programming and events. The key to achieving our ambitious goals will be increasing revenues from underwriting and individual giving. The Underwriting Specialist will play a critical role in realizing our goals.
- Cultivate and manage Underwriting relationships
- Create and maintain Underwriting contracts
- Assist Programming Director in creating announcement text for Underwriters
- Schedule and maintain Underwriting invoices
- Assist GM in donor relations, as needed
- Create end of the year thank you letters, yearly
- Create and deliver Welcome packages
- Outreach committee member- networking meetings/ cultivating relationships/ seeking out new opportunities
- Work as member of the Development team to create/ update yearly sponsorship materials
- Work as member of the Development team to plan and communicate fund drive events (Schedule and run meetings, coordinate volunteers, obtain premiums )
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Good organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and roles, patiently and professionally
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple audiences ranging from KZUM Staff, Board and volunteers to community partners
- Capable of working independently
- Excited to work as a team
- Attention to detail and accuracy when entering financial information and processing payments
- Effective proofreading and writing skills
- Comfortable learning and implementing new technologies
- Effectively communicating a brand through social media
Desired Behavioral Traits and Attitudes:
- Team player, fun, outgoing, passionate, organized, creative, resourceful, critical thinker, flexible and self motivated. Excited about KZUM’s mission and its role within the community.
- Professional experience in a related field.
- Desired computer skills include Microsoft Office software, Google Apps, database management. Design software a plus.
- Some night and weekend hours required. Flex time available.
- Full time at 40 hours a week
- Base salary and commission
- Reports to the General Manager
- Paid holidays, personal and vacation days